The PhD Program in Business Studies comprises a total of 240 credits, of which 90 credits consist of courses and 150 credits of work with the PhD Thesis.
New PhD students follow a mandatory course program (SUBS) the first autumn semester which consists of four mandatory courses, a total of 30 credits.
The SUBS Program (Stockholm Uppsala Business Studies) is a joint effort between the Department of Business Studies at Uppsala University, Stockholm School of Economics and Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU). Some of our PhD students also follow mandatory courses given within The Research Schools: Management och IT (MIT), Nord-IB (PhD program in International Business) and FIRE (The Research School in Accounting).
Doctoral courses offered 2018/2019:
The SUBS-program contains the following four mandatory courses, given
- Perspectives on Science and Research, Autumn 2018 (7.5hp), given in Uppsala with start 6th Sept 2018. Course director: Professor Fredrik Tell.
- Qualitative Methods (7.5hp), given in Uppsala with start 27th Sept. 2018. Course director: Professor Linda Wedlin.
- Quantitative Methods I (7.5hp), given at SSE with start 1st Nov 2018. Course director: Rickard Sandberg, SSE. Please see SSEs website.
- Research Process (7.5hp), given at SSE with start 1 dec. Course director: Professor Udo Zander, SSE. Please see SSEs website.
Other courses given AUTUMN 2018:
- Philosophy of Science and Methods in Multi- and Transdisciplinary Research (7,5hp), given at UU, Campus Gotland, with start 3rd October 2018. Course directors: Jenny Helin and Anette Oxensvärdh. Application for participation should be sent to: Anette.firstname.lastname@example.org At the latest 31st of August 2018.
- Management and Organisation Classics This course has been cancelled 2018. Course director: Associate Professor Karin Brunsson, Department of Business Studies, UU.
- Introduction to Multivariate Statistics (7.5hp), Spring 2019, given in Uppsala. Course director: Professor James Sallis. Sign up here
- Management, Organisation and ICT (7.5hp), Spring 2019, given in Uppsala University and Stockholm University. Course directors: Associate Professor Jan Lindvall (UU) and Professor Jan Löwstedt (SU). This course is mandatory to PhD students enrolled in the MIT research school. Others are welcome to join. Sign up here
- Advanced Organisation Analysis (7,5hp), Spring 2019, given in Uppsala. Course director: Professor Stefan Arora-Jonsson. Sign up here
- The Art and Craft of Academic Writing (7,5hp), Spring 2019 given in Uppsala. Course Director: Researcher Gundula Lücke. Note! This course is intended for doctoral students year two and up. Sign up here
- Aesthetics and Art-Based Methods for Researching Management and Organisation (7.5hp), Spring 2019 (20-24 May) given at UU, Campus Gotland. Course directors: Professor Guillet de Monthoux & Jenny Helin. The number of participants is limited. Employees at Uppsala University have the possibility to book a flat in Visby for free (first come first served). Your application should be sent to: email@example.com.
To sign-up, see the registration link next to the respective syllabus. Contact Golondrian Janke if you have any queries.
Doctoral students from other universities are welcome to participate, subject to availability of places. To sign up please follow the instructions to each course.
A course fee (5000:-) is charged doctoral students that do not belong to the U6 network (i.e. the universities of Göteborg, Linköping, Lund, Stockholm, Umeå, Uppsala, including MIT research school and Stockholm School of Economics). Please sign up by using the form Application for PhD Courses
Links to other Universities
- Stockholm School of Economics: HHS
- Stockholm University, Stockholm Business School: SBS
- Göteborg University; Handelshögskolan